Saturday, November 17, 2012

Project Life: Starting and Backlog

I tend to do most of my crafts in bed. Whether I'm laying back and knitting, or using all of the bed real estate to do a paper project, I just like to be comfy when I craft. I'm planning to turn our third bedroom into a beautiful craft room, and I'll still probably end up in my bed. But who can blame me? My tush is comfy, and I have a whole space to spread out. So when back to back pneumonia and a respiratory virus forced me into bed for 14 days, -and counting- I needed a craft. Thankfully, I found Project Life.

For those of you not in the know, Project Life is a simplified scrapbooking/journaling experience where you put together all those photos you take each and every day into a great life log - a physical blog, if you will.

I'll admit, I always gave the side-eye to scrapbookers; with their rolling bags, puffy thematic stickers and piles of craft scissors, in my mind, they were the Yankee Candle Party Ladies of the crafting world. But this, this called to me. Project Life is sleek. It doesn't look cheesy, mostly because it is about 75% photo album, but it allows a lot of room for creativity. It looks like a magazine layout, and, not only is a lot of it prepared for me, but it gives me a reason to craft each and every week. And oh, the sheet protectors. I have a problem with sheet protectors, and the multitude of designs available to me for this project make me squeal like a piggie. The only issue is, most people tend to start at the beginning of the calendar year, but I needed to start right away - I have important end of the year events to chronicle! I decided to start with some photo pages with instagrams from earlier in 2012, a a half layout for our move, a little bit about Scott's new job, and a half layout about Halloween week, and from then on I would do a weekly layout. So here are the goodies:


We had a lot of photos from Halloween week, so I didn't need too many filler cards. I overlaid a few of them with text in photoshop, and I used my trusty Aidox corner rounder to make everything all matchy. I used Becky Higgins Page Design A, and a journaling card from the Project Life Cobalt Edition Core Kit. The orange header card is from the Project Life 4x6 Textured Cardstock Cobalt Pack and the black and white washi tape is from K and Company Smash.
For our big move, I used Becky Higgins Page Design A, and a header and journaling card from the Project Life Cobalt Edition Core Kit. I overlaid some typing on my photos in Photoshop, including a nice bill from the vet for Kiwi's little foot emergency - she couldn't let us put all our attention on the move, now could she?




For the instagram pages, I used a coin collecting page protector, which fit the little squares perfectly. They live in the front of the book, even before the title page. I printed the photos on photo paper as a contact sheet in iPhoto, I used a Smash Stick to glue them on, and I cut out little frames for each from the the Project Life 4x6 Textured Cardstock Cobalt Pack.  

I also added a mini page, Becky Higgins Design J, to showcase some oversized instagrams that didn't quite have a place to go. The first three are from Scott's new job, and the other side has some football fun and a particularly adorable Kiwi pic. I put this mini page in between the Moving page and the Halloween Page.

So, I got all of my backlog out of the way. I think it does a nice job of including important photos from the rest of the year, while blending in with the weekly pages to come.





No comments:

Post a Comment