Saturday, December 1, 2012

DIY Advent Calendar Roundup

Growing up Jewish, I never really had any experience with the Advent Calendar. To this day, I don't know the story behind it, and I assume it is just a device that gives me a small present each day while counting down to my birthday, which so happens to fall on December 25th. Occasionally, when I was a kid, a friend would show me a little cardboard box with a Christmas illustration on it, and each day they would punch a hole in it and get chocolate of questionable age along with a vaguely religious holiday sentiment.

As for my house, we had an 8-pocket present holder that had a mini-present for each night of Chanukah, and no, we never got socks, but thanks for asking. Now, people seem to be taking Advent Calendars to the next level. Not only are the presents getting a bit more interesting, but people are getting pretty crafty with the packaging as well - a treat, I presume, more for the crafter than the minor child recipient. So, in honor of my birthday month, here are some Advent Calendars you can make yourself to count down to my special day.

Magnetic Holiday Advent Calendar DIY

 I like this one because it appeals to my OCD side - all the same, neatly in a row, and nicely coordinated colors. Plus, it will go right on the fridge and each one is the perfect size for a handful of jelly beans. Or skittles. Or chocolate chips...

Tutorial available at Twig and Thistle

DIY Mini Tree Advent Calendar

I'd probably forget about the presents with this one, and just pretend I was a giant amongst a teeny, tiny forest. But, if you're one of those folks who likes to have a train going around their Christmas Tree, this might be a good option for some added foliage.

Tutorial available at Apartment Therapy


Modern DIY Advent Calendar

This one has an interesting modern look to it. Is it a piece of art? Is it an advent calendar? Is someone really confused as to in what order numbers go? This is definitely the hipster art school kid option. No colors, straight lines, and you have to tilt your head for it to make sense.

Tutorial available at Creature Comforts


DIY Pottery Barn Inspired Advent Calendar 

I'm confused...are you supposed to be able to see the gifts? Again, my first thought is filling the buckets with different kinds of candy. Can you tell we finally topped off the Halloween candy bowl today? I'm really jonesing for a Hershey's bar. Anyways, this is another cute option, and you can re-use it year after year. 

Tutorial available at The Feminist Housewife


Free Printable DIY Christmas Calendar

I'm a sucker for a good printable. And these are some good sized boxes too. You could put one, two, maybe even three Reese's cups in one of these puppies. Another problem I have with anything black and white is that I really want to color it in, which you can do because it is yours and you make the rules. Don't color outside the lines though, or you're on the Naughty List.

Printables and Tutorial available at Hey Look


DIY Gingerbread Advent Calendar 

A calendar I can eat? Sold. But I'm renaming it the fat-vent calendar. I never was a gingerbread fan, so maybe we make it out of sugar cookies.

Recipe available at Butcher, Baker


DIY Hanging Chalkboard Advent Calendar

I like the idea that you can hang this from the mantle, or from a tree. I'm not so sure about gravity + tasty treats in a box with a lid, but I'm pretty sure you could throw some washi tape on it and be fine. Washi tape is gonna replace duct tape as the world's fix-it-all. Or, maybe just in the craft world.

Tutorial available at Hank and Hunt


DIY Advent Tree

This year will be my fourth with a Christmas tree, and every year I freak out because there is a tree in my house. Sure, for a lot of folks it's no big deal, but for this Jewish girl, trees live outside no matter the season. I'm always giving my tree the side-eye, expecting a squirrel to jump out of it a la Christmas Vacation. To the point - this tree might be less frightening to your Jewish friends who like the indoors, and it can double as a Christmas tree to put gifts under for those who don't have room for a tree in their apartment.

Tutorial available at A Beautiful Mess


DIY Silhouette Advent Calendar

I like the silver color scheme here - it's got a very vintage holiday look. Also, when the holiday is over, you can use the frame to hang mini Instagram photos, or regular non-hipster photos.

Example and link to kit available at Better After


Free Printable Modern DIY Triangle Advent Calendar

This one is super bright and colorful, and doesn't scream Christmas at me. And, as I said before, I love a good printable. Again, a fabulous option to make your Jewish friends feel comfortable. You could even stop at 8 with this one, and make it for Chanukah...I guess you could do the same with all of these, now that I mention it. Oh well. Chanukah really needs better decorations.

Tutorial and Printables available at Minnieco



No comments:

Post a Comment