Monday, November 11, 2013

What I'm Loving: Baby Camel Yarn

My new love. And my toes.

I've been in the Ann Arbor area for about a year now, and it's taken me this long to get to the local yarn shop, Busy Hands. I haven't really bought what would be considered a fancier yarn since I moved here - I've basically been working through my stash of Cascade 220 and Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton, knitting far too many gifts for my friend's babies. Anything new I've bought has been on Amazon, so it goes without saying it had been far too long since I had set foot in an actual yarn shop.

I dragged Scott in not planning to buy anything - Ha! - and I even managed to resist most of the modest selection of soft textures and interesting colorways in the beginning. Then I saw a basket hung on the wall filled with the most beautifully textured camel colored yarn, so of course I had to go up and touch it. When I got close enough to read the label, I saw it said "Handspun Baby Camel." Of course the camel color was so perfect - it was actual camel! Duh. I immediately loved the texture of the Baby Camel yarn, thicker sections mixing with thinner sections...agh. Yarn love. And at $16.50 a skein, it wasn't the most horribly expensive yarn I had ever seen. If it were just some regular old wool yarn, I probably would have walked away. I probably could have even kept moving if it was llama yarn. But yarn made from baby camels? I immediately imagined the adorable faces of the baby camels, and thought how they would be so offended if I didn't buy their super cool hair.

Please buy my yarn! I made it for you with my own hair!

I decided I had to have it, and of course Scott (my enabler) was lovely enough to buy it for me, along with two sets of double pointed needles so I could make some beautiful gloves to go with the lovely coat he just ordered for me. (I'm getting particularly spoiled this week.) I'm not sure if he was happy because it made me so happy, or because I promised when the gloves were done it would be like holding hands with a baby camel. But not, because they have hooves. I've already started knitting one glove, and it's stitching out so nicely. And it's so soft too! Stay tuned for the pattern/tutorial.

If you feel like a medium yarn splurge, or need something to put on your holiday list, this Handspun Baby Camel Yarn from Lotus Yarns is an absolute must have - if only so that you can say you knitted with baby camel hair. Keep in mind when buying it that it does come in the natural color of the camel, so skeins may differ slightly in color. Buy it in person if you can, but you can find it online for a bit more than I paid here. So go and buy some, I'm enabling you. This yarn definitely has the cool factor.

Find me on Ravelry!

No comments:

Post a Comment